Friday, October 26, 2007

Ubuntu default Installation + optional packages

The installation of Ubuntu 7.10 went without a glitch. I installed it on a PC where I already had Windows but an empty partition on my harddrive. During the installation, I just had to select the right partition, which was easy because I could recognize it by its size. After that, it installed a whole dual boot setup (which allows me to boot into linux or windows) automatically.

After the first reboot of the installation, it automatically asked me to install some updates over the internet, and it did so without the slightest problem.

The Ubuntu Package Managers from the Menus
Applications/Add/Remove
System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager
allow to install all kind of packages (more than 20'000!) in a most easy way. No need to browse for programs on the internet, everything that works can be accessed directly through the desktop! That's just awesome!

No comments: